There is a growing movement amongst those in the tattoo industry and tattoo clients that are becoming more and more interested in doing or receiving traditional hand tapped tattoos, particularly of the Japanese traditional style of Tebori.
There are benefits and drawback to both machine done tattoos and hand tapped tattoos.
- Much faster do apply.
- Precision and tiny details.
- A giant list of artists to choose from.
- Availability and locality.
- Ability to do styles not possible with hand tapping.
- Typical, very common way to get a tattoo.
- Takes longer to heal.
- Colors aren’t as vibrant.
- Fades faster.
TEBORI AND HAND TAPPING-Pros:
- Heals faster vs Machine.
- Less bleeding and inflammation.
- Colors appear more vibrant.
- A unique experience.
- Longevity: the colors don’t fade as fast.
TEBORI AND HAND TAPPING-Cons:
- Takes roughly 3 times longer to do vs machine.
- Hurts more due to how much longer it takes.
- The sound has been said to be “unsettling”.
- Proximity: To get a proper one done, you may have to travel quite a way.
As you can see, both have something to offer. If you have the means to try and get a Tebori style tattoo from a reputable artist, it’s not a bad idea to try the experience.