AN ARTIST’S RATES CAN BE FIGURED BY MANY FACTORS
Many people out there don’t understand how any particular artist determines their rates. There can actually many factors.
SOME FACTORS THAT MAY DETERMINE RATES
- EXPERIENCE: A seasoned artist will always be more than an apprentice.
- EDUCATION: An artist that went to art school will probably factor this into their rate.
- SKILL LEVEL: The better the artist is, generally speaking, they will be more because it ties directly with their demand.
- DEMAND: The more an artist is in demand, the more likely it will be that they charge more. An artist that is booked out for a year can be more selective than one that’s desperate for business. Be weary of an artist that seems too desperate.
- LOCATION: Geographically speaking, like most other things in life, an artist may charge more or less depending on where the studio is. For example, you’ll likely pay higher rates in Hollywood California, than you would in Muncie Indiana. You’ll pay more for a tattoo in London than in Morocco. It’s just how things go.
- SPECIAL APPEARANCE: If an artist is doing a convention or are appearing for a limited time at another studio, often their rate is temporarily increased for the event/guest spot.
- LENGTH OF TIME AT A STUDIO: If an artist is new to a studio, sometimes they will lower their rates to help build a client base and a reputation. This is often temporary.
While this isn’t 100%, these all can factor in the rate an artist charges.